Wednesday, November 7, 2007

My Mission in Life: Eat all the Halloween Candy

Today is the first day since Halloween that I have not had a single piece of Halloween candy. Today I replaced the candy with the pumpkin muffins my daughter's Brownie troop baked. There is some nutritional value in them, right?

I am not saying that I will not eat any Halloween candy today, since I will probably not go to bed for another 2 hours or so.

It has been a really, really busy day. I volunteered at school this morning. While I was there, the principal "invited" me to the Wednesday afternoon staff meeting. He wanted to have parents and students there to help come up with a school vision. They just created a mission statement for the school. This principal is new to the school and is very enthusiastic. I think the ink is not quite dry on his PhD as well, thus the mission/vision statement thing. I am thinking it is not a bad thing though, as the previous leadership at that school had things pretty stagnant.

Anyhow, we had these little break-out groups to discuss our 'dreams' for the school. All the parents were in one group, and there were three groups of teachers/staff, and one group of students (5th and 6th graders). One of the parents happens to be a teacher in another district. Every idea we parents came up with, she argued with us about. I really got kind of snarky toward the end of the thing, because she seemed to want only her voice and vision to be heard from our group. I think she should have gone into one of the teacher groups because of her profession and her lack of wanting to work with us lowly parents. I liked the rest of the parents that were there. In fact, most of them are becoming friends.

The Brownie troop had their re-dedication/investiture ceremony today. When it was my daughter's turn to light her candle, she was terrified that she would burn herself. I just realized that it is the first time that she has ever lit a candle by herself. She is so funny, how can she be so fearless about some things (wanting a Tarantula) and so frightened of others?

No comments: