Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Cold Weather Person in Warm Weather Holidays

Here it is, two days before Thanksgiving (my second Thanksgiving since moving here). It is 75 degrees outside, the sun is shining, the holiday is upon us, and I am so not feeling it. Spend 42 years in climates that actually have all four seasons, and then suddenly end up in a climate that has two seasons...mild and hot; and just try to get "festive" when it is nearly 80 degrees out. It just does not work.

I was walking through the schoolyard wearing a polo shirt and capri pants this morning, it was about 63 degrees out, and several people asked me why I was not cold. I love listening to the weather reports here and how lows in the 40s are seen as extremely cold. Of course I now hear about traffic reports in the Twin Cities and snicker about the fact that most Midwesterners have no concept of what really bad traffic truly is.

Oh well. We will be setting up our new to us artificial Christmas tree sometime this weekend. I am pretty excited. I will miss having a real tree (the fragrance is what I will miss), but I will not miss the annual expense, and the endless vacuuming of tree needles. I will also not miss stringing the lights every year, since our new to us tree is prelit!

Last year when I decorated, I felt like I was just going through the motions. I think I still feel that way. There is something about the very crisp winter air and the snow that gets me in the mood for the holidays. I think we need to take a trip up to Big Bear, or through the grapevine so I can actually see some snow, to reassure me.

There are some days that I miss Minnesota so much that I just ache. Today is one of those days. I wish the ache would just go away.

No comments: