Sunday, October 14, 2007

Life has a way of changing one's choices.

About a year and a half ago, my aunt's long time boyfriend (they have been together for about 20 years) contracted meningitis and things were very dicey for about 2 months in the hospital. It was a really trying time for my aunt because she was not his wife, he has grown children from a previous marriage (the children deferred to her judgment in this situation), and a former wife, who did not wish to defer to my aunt's judgment as far as his care went.

Flash back to my wedding day, over 7 years ago, and it was my aunt that actually caught the bouquet. Both her and her boyfriend were adamant that they were never going to ruin what they have by getting married. We all gave them a good ribbing for a long time afterward about the bouquet and that it was destiny.

Well, yesterday, in the mail, was an invitation to their upcoming nuptials. To say I was shocked is certainly understating it. They were so sure that they were not going to get married. After talking to my mom today, one of the reasons for the change of heart was the fact that, legally, they would not be allowed to make any of the kinds of decisions one has to make in hospitals without the marriage certificate.

Congratulations go to my aunt and her soon to be husband. I am sure you will live a long and happy life together.

No comments: