Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Winter in Southern California

The weather here in wintertime is so weird. Last night, the low temperature here was 46 degrees Fahrenheit. Today the high temperature is going to be 84. As I type this, it is literally warmer outside than it is in the house. In the summer, the opposite is true of the internal and external temperatures. I know we should probably put more insulation in the attic, and perhaps some insulation should be blown into the walls. I am sure that would solve some of the issue.

It rained big time on Friday. I was so happy to see the rain. I am even happier to see that the ash from the fires is finally washed away and is no longer in the air. I know that we now have to worry about mudslides in the foothills, but at least there is no longer a coating of ash and soot on every surface outside. I am still wiping ash from the surfaces inside the house, but that should subside now.

Yesterday when I was driving I saw something I have never seen before. Off in the distance, I could see that close to the ground was a very thick layer of smog, and above that was a layer of clear (clean?) air holding the smog down. It looked disgusting. We breathe that crap in every day here. If the smog is not a cry for the need of good and efficient public transit, I do not know what is. Ten million people living in a space that could maybe sustain three million, and it seems like even more people want to move here. That is, judging from all the real estate development going on here in Irvine, Rancho Santa Margarita, Laguna Niguel, and Mission Viejo. One would think that the mortgage crisis and the bursting of the housing bubble would have slowed the development down, but it hasn't. Welcome to the corporate states of America.

No comments: